Item #: SCP-671-JP
Object Class: Euclid
Special Containment Procedures: SCP-671-JP is to be contained in a specialized tank, with electrodes for feeding and 10m surplus spaces above the water surface. Detail conditions (including water temperature, salinity concentration, pH, voltage of electrodes) are to be adjusted at any time, as to be within the range of prescribed value. Once every 5 years, at night of the first day of the month, atmospheric temperature and humidity within the tank are to be adjusted properly to induce Event Pentecostes.
Description: SCP-671-JP is a species of aquatic organism similar to hydroid, which has two remarkable anomalous properties. Firstly, SCP-671-JP is capable of directly using electricity as an energy source. Secondly, it can float in the air similarly as it does in the water, surviving without any problem.
Same as the most of hydroids, SCP-671-JP alternately repeats two different generations in its life cycle; polyp and medusa. For convenience, polyps are referred as SCP-671-JP-1, as medusae are referred as SCP-671-JP-2. SCP-671-JP-1 forms a floating colony the same way the blue button (Porpita porpita) or similar jellyfishes do. Its colony resembles to that of Rhizostomidae, and gradually grows larger by asexual reproduction of zooids. SCP-671-JP-1 colony will keep growing for about 5 years, and its size of "bell" will reach up to over 3m in diameter. While it is able to survive in the air as mentioned above, it will not voluntarily leave from under the water, except during Event Pentecostes.
SCP-671-JP-2’s appearance resembles to that of Polyorchidae. SCP-671-JP-2 instances are divided to male and female, each emitting sperms and eggs for sexual reproduction. In contrast to SCP-671-JP-1, the life of SCP-671-JP-2 lasts 12 hours or less; it only manifests during Event Pentecostes.
Event Pentecostes is a series of phenomenon that occurs when a colony of SCP-671-JP-1 reaches its maximum size. In addition to maturity of colony, the occurrence of Event Pentecostes needs to fulfill the all following environmental conditions.
- It must be the night of the first day of the month.
- Air temperature must be within the range of 26-28°C, and humidity must over 70%.
- It must not be rainy weather.
As the days meeting above-mentioned requirements are naturally restricted, all SCP-671-JP-1 colonies that were birthed at the almost same period will carry out Event Pentecostes at same night, in an about 5-year cycle. Details of phenomenon are as follows;
- SCP-671-JP-1 colony stops growing and floats upward to reach the high-altitude atmosphere as much as possible. At the same time, SCP-671-JP-2 instances begin to bud from blastostyles of SCP-671-JP-1 colony and float away.
- SCP-671-JP-2 instances emit their sperms/eggs from reproductive glands while floating around.
- After budding of SCP-671-JP-2, SCP-671-JP-1 colony generates powerful electricity in the body. During this period, zooids near the tips of tentacles charge positive while those near the "bell" charge negative; it causes a potential difference of several million volts between both ends of colony. As a result, spark discharges occur from the inside of the "bell" toward the tips of tentacles, causing electron avalanche and minor thunderbolts in the peripheral atmosphere. As SCP-671-JP has red fluorescent protein reacting to electrical stimulus, instances will emit red light during electric discharge.
- Sperms and eggs of SCP-671-JP-2 unite. Fertilized eggs rapidly differentiate by obtaining energy from SCP-671-JP-1's electric discharge, hatching as planula larvaes.
Event Pentecostes concludes on the same night it happens. Hatched planulas enter the water, grow and form colonies of SCP-671-JP-1. Old SCP-671-JP-1 colonies and SCP-671-JP-2 instances will expire after electric discharge and reproduction, and their remains will melt away.
Incident 671-JP-01: SCP-671-JP was discovered on 19██, when a large-scale Event Pentecostes occurred at Nakagyō-ku, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. During 6 hours from the start to the conclusion of event, 2 civilians killed and 14 others injured by SCP-671-JP-1's electric discharges; a power transmission facility was also damaged, causing power failure at Nakagyō-ku and parts of Shimogyō-ku until the morning of next day.
Subsequent investigation revealed that this event was caused by 7 colonies of SCP-671-JP-1, which had been raised at a wooden housing/fish shop "[REDACTED]" located in Nishiki Market. The owner of said shop, ██████ ██████████, was electrocuted during the event; however, his wife ████ claimed he obtained larvaes 5 years ago from an antique dealer in Kyoto City and had devoted himself to raise those colonies.